Thursday, May 3, 2007

Communication

http://http://www.dailyastorian.info/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=42020&SectionID=2&SubSectionID=&S=1

Desperate, I am, to find a way to communicate. Yesterday whilst at sea a newspaper floated by and as it twisted and unfurled and disintegrated I was able to read the headlines: "Fishing Vessel Seeks and Reels in Derelict Trawl Nets From Sea Floor." There were pictures of men on the vessel pulling up nets with bright red, saucer-eyed rockfishes stuck into them. The article said that the world's largest telecommunications cable ran through these nets, between Rockaway Oregon and Chikura, Japan. The cable is owned by an Indian company called VSNL Intl. Communcations and apparently it can handle 7 terabits of information per second - or about seven times the capacity needed to transmit simultaneous phone calls from every phone line in the world. Only three inches in diameter, this is the biggest one of 11 such cables crossing the Pacific. I just need to make a call. I listen to the sounds of men and women whispering from these cables. I can use my Salpitude to do that. I also listen to broadcasts through the sea's ions, and sometimes I go up to the surface and listen to the stars. I can hear things through the hulls of metal ships passing by, and once in a very long while, a wooden ship goes past, sounding like a mallet. How do I get through to you?
http://www.vsnlinternational.com/news/release-view.asp?d=20041101

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home